I wanted to find out what are you using for Desired State Configuration on your end. I am thinking to start introducing Azure Powershell DSC or Ansible for DSC of our on-prem environment and cloud environment. Would you have any recommendations? I am turning more towards Ansible but it would be nice to get to know other people opinion.
PowerShell Desired State Configuration:
- Great support for Microsoft Technologies (IIS, Exchange, SharePoint, etc.)
- OS and PowerShell Version requirements can become prohibitive.
- WinRM and the LCM can be flakey requiring fiddling around restarting services to get it working.
- Opensource Ecosystem isn't as strong.
- Huge Open-source ecosystem around Ansible, with many ways of doing one task.
- Support for a wide range of technologies, enabling you to use Ansible YAML for vSphere, Azure, AWS, etc.
- Easy to hire people with Ansible experience.
- Poor support for the nitty-gritty of Microsoft Products, however, you can use the win_dsc module to call DSC from Ansible.
- Ansible is becoming less important with the advent of Cloud, Kubernetes and Terraform.
Personally, I use DSC for my workstation and that's it now. Previously I used it to bootstrap MongoDB and Redis clusters but eventually switched to Ansible because it meant throwing away the hard to maintain DSC and using open-source Ansible modules from Galaxy.