I am looking for recommendations on how to skill up to be a dedicated DevOps Engineer.
I have always wanted to work on Development related projects as I love coding but unfortunately I have never got the chance. I have previously worked on freelance projects using .Net and PHP and I am certified in Java SE but I have never used it.
My work experience incorporates being in system and application administration. Mostly I am a senior now in this field so a switch to Development is not preferred as I would have to start over as a junior. However I think DevOps will be perfect for me but I need to know what I need to study to fill the gaps in my knowledge to be a good dedicated DevOps engineer (preferably the part about writing automation and tools).
Please recommend what should I study, for example I heard Python and Perl and Ruby are very good for DevOps but what else should I start with and what is the mandatory skills that i need to cover first?
My current skill set:
- Unix (HP-UX, Solaris) and Linux (Ubuntu, Red hat, CentOS) Administration
- Middleware Technologies administration (WebLogic, Apache-Tomcat, WebSphere, MQ)
Web server configuration and administration
- Excellent knowledge of common database systems (SQL Server, Oracle, MySQL, etc.)
- Web services and Integrations SOAP/REST/API
- Oracle Business Intelligence Suite (OBIEE, DAC, Informatica)
- ITSM Remedy Development and Administration.
- SAP Business Object (Analytics).
- Service Center –ITIL-enabled IT service Management
- Strong understanding of Web Application technologies.
- Expert Development skills in Microsoft Visual Basic.
- Excellent Development Skills in Java SE.
- Microsoft .Net Development
- MS SharePoint development.
- Expert in MS Office with Expert knowledge in Macros and Automation across all MS office Applications.
- Intermediate PHP development (CakePHP)