After a chat with a colleague who collaborates with quite high-end projects on Microsoft stack (for example, ASP.Net + MS SQL Server).
An interesting outcome was that although I believe that DevOps must be possible in the Microsoft world as well, my knowledge is too little so that I cannot give good examples how he could organize a CI/CD approach. Indeed in our community there are some hints about Team Foundation Server and PSBuildStack (?), but an official source does not reveal all that at a glance. The described hosted services make it even less transparent for a newcomer - is that a cloud build environment like CloudBees/BlueMix?
So, my question is now: how could I describe an example of mature toolchain using established DevOps terms which are valid more or less independent from specific environment/tooling - or do we have to admit that this engineering terminology is not there yet?
Something like this:
- Source code version control system
- Build agents
- Automation and packaging scheduling system to encapsulate artefact composition logic
- A binary repository (different classes of binaries: libraries, distros, container images)
- A configuration repository for different environments
- Package and configuration distribution system to encapsulate deployment logic