I'm starting up the DevOps initiative at my company and trying to decide what IDE and other development tooling to invest the team in for our various repositories.
Language wise we have a lot of Ruby and Groovy, but that's hardly the entire picture. We really don't even know fully yet all the systems we will be working with in the near future, and there are some DSLs in the mix:
- Akamai DSL
- CloudBees / Jenkins logic in Groovy and Jenkinsfile
- Ansible, maybe
- Docker, hopefully
- One of several release automation products, not yet chosen
- I would like to use ServerSpec or something like it
- SaltStack DSL
- Kubernetes DSL
- And so on.
Are there any IDEs with plugins to make working with this stuff a little easier?
- that understand the relationships between these entities
- that can mock out DNS and network connections to make unit tests possible for these DSLs
- that can validate DSL syntax or even detect certain logical errors considering multiple of these?
This reddit thread is very discouraging to me as it seems a lot of folks out there are using basic editors with syntax highlighting plugins, which I view as woefully inadequate.