I'm working on a project to move our current stack from a mix of half-manual, half-undocumented, half-ansible into a solid code-defined architecture on AWS. Our plan is to use AWS CloudFormation heavily and off-load the following tasks to an internal tool:
- Pipelining (running CFs / scripts in order)
- Scripting tasks (that cannot be accomplished through CloudFormation)
- Templating (if/as necessary)
- Internal Validation
This tool would be expected to build our entire environment more or less from scratch (bar a few things which can't be automated).
- Is JS an acceptable solution for this type of tool?
- Would it raise major eyebrows if we were to bring on a DevOps Engineer in the future?
- Is it unusual to use JS in the DevOps community?
We already leverage JS (via https://serverless.com/) for some of our automation.