According to https://events.static.linuxfound.org/sites/events/files/slides/cc15_mcguire.pdf p21-23, Kevin McGuire of New Relics classifies the containers in three categories:
- VM-like with a lifetime > 1000h
- "Cloud-ish" with a lifetime between 24 and 1000 hours
- Lightweight compute engine with a lifetime < 24h (and even <1h for 46% of them)
I have hard-time to clearly define what are the "cloud-ish" containers:
- Are those typically "microservices" or is this something different?
- Would you put applications that scale on demand as part of those "cloud-ish" services, or would they fall into the "lightweight compute engine" category instead?