We're a software team currently trying to hire a DevOps Engineer.
We have an assessment for Software Developer candidates and we're currently evaluating the idea of having an assessment for our DevOps Engineer candidates. Since we have not hired DevOps people before and barely know a few, it would help us greatly.
What would be your advice ? If you support there should be an assessment, then what would be the content ?
- We need to hire a DevOps Engineer to bootstrap our all DevOps process/culture.
We have more than 100 servers. Around 20 different apps on them.
We want him/her to;
- Install a main devops tool like Jenkins or Teamcity
- Build the pipelines for all this apps and servers
- CIntegration, CDelivery, CDeployment depending on what app does
- help migrate to Linux and/or docker
- It must be about building and deploying a few apps interacting with each other to different targets with different configurations.
Thanks for answers. While reading them, I'll answer the questions to make the backstory clearer.
- Developers including me are doing provisioning/build/deployments. We're very unhappy about that.
- Unfortunately, we can only hire one person for all our expectations.
- We have plenty of time to put everything together, so it should not be problem for anyone who's willing to do all the stuff.
- Assignment will be take-at-home and candidates will be given a few days to complete. No problem about that. After all assessment is complementary to interview.
- I know a few DevOps people. I may get their help for evaluating assessments.
I agree the devs automating their stuff is much better than another person doing that. But we have a big backlog about devops. We need someone to show us the way while doing the bulk of it himself/herself. We are not considering to totally forget the process. We want exact opposite: we want to do things right but we don't know where to start and don't have time.
I installed Jenkins. Set up pipelines for some of the projects. But I am a senior developer. Neither me nor my executive wants my all time spent on this.
EDIT 3(What I came up with):
This is roughly the assignment I brought together. What do you think ? What else can be here ?
- Install Jenkins on a platform on your choice
- Dockerize .net project given.
- Build two pipelines with unit test automation.
- Build and host database.
- You must be delivering us your scripts and an account to jenkins.